Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about VIN and other Car Buying topics.
The 17-digit numbers found on Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) symbolize the following information:
- The first character- identifies the country where car was manufactured.
- The second character refers to the manufacturer. For example: eight stands for vehicles manufactured by Saturn.
- Third character refers to the type of vehicle type the manufacturing sect.
- The fourth and eighth characters identify the car's features (including the body style, model, features and so forth).
- Ninth character reveals the vehicle identification number's accuracy as a check digit.
- The tenth character refers to the car's model year. For instance, ‘Y" represents the year 2000.
- An eleventh character symbolizes the assembly plant of the vehicle.
- The twelfth and seventeenth characters- refer to the sequence of the automobile's production order when it rolled off the manufacturer's assembly line.